Detailed information about the course
Video-Journalism for Scientists at Vision du Réel (Festival International de Cinéma Nyon)
4., 6. and 15. April 2019
|Responsable de l'activité||
Dr Samer Angelone, M.A. Film Studies
A new form of science communication is emerging in form of Video-Journalism. Unfortunately, video-journalism lies outside the training of the science academies. In this workshop, we seek to challenge, inspire and train a new generation of scientists to find innovative, creative and journalistic ways of reporting science through film. Video-journalists, the jack-of-all-trades, have many tasks, including pitching, developing and researching stories, producing, shooting and editing videos.
The 3 day workshop takes place at Neuchâtel University and Vision du Réel (Festival International de Cinéma Nyon, www.visionsdureel.ch)
I. Theory and practice
· Science journalism
· Stories: pitching, developing and researching
· Production of low-budget films
· Screenwriting and storyboarding
· Camera, lighting and audio
· Film editing
II. Workshop projects (Video-reports)
· Participants (groups of 2-3) prepare video-reports (2-10 minutes long) about the topics that they wish (with science focus or related to science). One option could be making video-reports about the screened films at Vision de Réel (Festival International de Cinéma Nyon, www.visionsdureel.ch), by analysing the screened films and interviewing the filmmakers.
· Before filming the video-reports, participants present and discuss their projects (story, script, storyboard and technical storyboard) in class
· After filming, participants edit their films together with the trainer
· The resulting video-reports are screened and discussed in class
Part I (1 full day; 4 April 2019 at Neuchâtel University):
UniMail, Rue Emile Argand 11, room B104
Part II (1 full day; 6 April 2019 at Nyon):
Part III (1 full day; 15 April 2019 at Neuchâtel University):
Rue Emile Argand 11, room B104
Neuchâtel, UniMail, Rue Emile-Argand 11, room B104
Participants are encouraged to spend more time at Visions du Réel (Festival International de Cinéma Nyon), but the CUSO will cover only the costs of the assigned day (6 April).
CUSO will cover the costs for the 3 days (travel, entrance fee, lunch and coffee at university of Neuchâtel). But if the students want to stay more than one day at the filmfestival they will have to cover these costs. CUSO also cannot cover the costs for the meals at the filmfestival.
|Deadline for registration||28.03.2019|
Andrea Bshary: email@example.com