Electron Microscopy - Practical Course
2-6 October 2023 (TCB)
Christel Genoud, Dr., Electron Microscopy Facility, University of Lausanne
Christel Genoud, Dr., Head of the Electron Microscopy Facility (EMF), University of Lausanne (UNIL)
Jean Daraspe, Scientific expert, EMF, UNIL
Irina Kolotuev, Senior scientist UNIL, expert
Antonio Mucciolo, EMF, UNIL
Damien De Bellis, EMF, UNIL
Olivia Muriel Lopez, EMF, UNIL
+ other external experts (TBA)
The course with take place at the Electron Microscopy Facility of The University of Lausanne.
Afternoon: hands-on demonstrations + work on your own sample
- To identify the best EM method for each student samples/questions
- To discover which EM techniques that are available at the EMF could forward your research
- To identify how molecules can be localized in cells or tissues.
- To learn the basics of EM image acquisition, analysis and reconstruction
- To understand basic SEM and TEM operating principles
- To gain exposure to various methods of preparing biological samples for EM together with the advantages and disadvantages related to each of these methods
- TEM, transmission electron microscopy
- TEM sample preparation: chemical and high-pressure f freezing procedures
- SEM, scanning electron microscopy
- SEM sample preparation
- Volume EM: TEM- tomography, Focused Ion Beam-SEM, Array Tomography
- Ultramicrotomy, resin sections - Cryo-ultramicrotomy, the Tokuyasu technique
- Image processing, volume reconstruction, and modelling
> On Monday morning, each student has 3 minutes (1-2 slides) to explain his needs in electron microscopy in the frame of the PhD work.
MORE INFORMATION WILL FOLLOW
Electron Microscopy Facility (EMF), University of Lausanne
This course is organized in collaboration with the CUSO doctoral programs in Microbial Sciences and StarOmics.
Reimbursements for CUSO MPS Students:
- Train ticket, 2°class, half-fare from your institution to the place of the activity.
Reimbursement of your travel tickets can be asked online through your MyCUSO. See HERE for the procedure.
For any question concerning reimbursement please contact the CUSO MPS coordinator Debora Zoia
Other CUSO Students:
Please contact the coordinator of your Program.
Deadline for registration: TBA
12 places available for CUSO students (4 for each participating program)
|Deadline for registration