Detailed information about the course
Villars 2020: Advances in Epigenetic and Epigenomics
CANCELED (16-18 September 2020)
Thomas Flatt, Prof., UNIFR, DPEE Director
Josep Casadesus, University of Seville, ES
THIS COURSE HAS BEEN CANCELED.
The area of epigenetics – the study of developmental and phenotypic changes that do not involve DNA sequence changes – touches upon many fundamental aspects of biology and is therefore of great interest to a large audience of biologists: development and cellular biology; gene regulation; chromatin biology; phenotypic plasticity; non-genetic inheritance; and evolutionary adaptation.
Fundamental questions that will be discussed at the meeting include for example:
- How can the same genome give raise to different cell types?
- How do epigenetic mechanisms lead to changes in chromatin structure and gene expression?
- How are environmental changes translated into epigenetic changes?
- How does epigenetics impact phenotypes and disease states?
- To what extent is epigenetic variation controlled genetically?
- How heritable and stable are epigenetic marks over time?
- What is the role of epigenetic inheritance in evolution and adaptation?
The symposium is open to PhD students from all four CUSO doctoral programs in biology (i.e., Staromics, Plant Molecular Biology, Microbiology, and Ecology and Evolution). The symposium will consist of lectures by the invited experts as well as discussions with the students in smaller groups (journal club format).
The program of the workshop will consist of a combination of plenary talks by invited speakers and work performed in small groups, in which the participants will discuss a particular theme together with one of the invited speakers. The results of these small-group sessions will be presented to the plenum by student participants, followed by a general discussion.
Tentative tiltles of pleanry speakers:
TBA, Josep Casadesus
Eurotel Victoria, Villars sur Ollon, CH
This activity will be postponed to 2021.
Reimbursements for CUSO MPS members:
10 places available for MPS students.
|Deadline for registration|