The course with take place at the University of Lausanne. The practicals will be held at the Electron Microscopy Facility of The University of Lausanne.
Afternoon: hands-on demonstrations + work on participant's samples
2 days will be dedicated on classic EM and 2 days on Cryo EM
* identify the best EM method for each student samples/questions;
* discover which EM techniques that are available at the EMF could forward your research;
* identify how molecules can be localized in cells or tissues;
* learn the basics of EM image acquisition, analysis and reconstruction;
* understand basic SEM and TEM operating principles & gain exposure to various methods of preparing biological samples for EM together with the advantages and disadvantages related to each of these methods.
TEM, transmission electron microscopy;
TEM sample preparation: chemical and high-pressure freezing procedures;
SEM, scanning electron microscopy;
SEM sample preparation;
Volume EM: TEM- tomography, Focused Ion Beam-SEM, Array Tomography;
Ultramicrotomy, resin sections;
Cryo-ultramicrotomy, the Tokuyasu technique & Image processing, volume reconstruction, and modelling